Archive

Topic: Does anybody Know? (5 replies)
#1     Wed May 28, 2008 2:11 am
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject: Does anybody Know?

What software for sure that can be downloaded off of the net will read morse code coming across CQ100 or from anything else on the net for that matter.

I have yet to get my paddle key hooked up usig CQ100 but hope to soon.
#2     Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 am
KB3NPH
Spring Run, PA

Subject: Re: Does anybody Know?

N8RGO wrote:
What software for sure that can be downloaded off of the net will read morse code coming across CQ100 or from anything else on the net for that matter.

I have yet to get my paddle key hooked up usig CQ100 but hope to soon.

There are a few very good freeware programs to read CW on CQ-100. Multipsk does a very good job for me. Also Hamscope does a nice job decoding. Both these packages will also send CW using the keyboard, and both will also work when connected to your HF rig for sending and decoding CW.

Tim (KB3NPH)
#3     Thu May 29, 2008 12:29 am
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

Ok I downloaded the multipsk, unziped it and installed it. When I ran it trying to dechiper Morse Code from the CQ100 code beacons. I get nothing but gibberish coming across.

I tried to read the help screen to see what I am suppose to push, which buttons ect, but can not seem to get it. I clicked on the TX/RX button and got that screen but again it was mostly gibberish. I tried to hit that CW button up in the upper right but that seem to stop it altogether,and the button beside it gave me nothing but a broken set of the letter "E"

Any straight forward help you can give me on what buttons to push to read Morse Code perfectly would be a big help, thanks.

I tried that CW Get but sort of the same thing I get mostly gibberish on that as well some words come in ok but not all of them.
#4     Thu May 29, 2008 10:02 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I have used CWGet and MixW with good success. Occasional click sounds (dropouts) from the CQ100 cause wrong characters.

You need to ensure your sound card input is set to "Stereo Mix" (What You Hear). If you leave it set to Mic, there is too much echo and distortion for good copy. Also, the levels must be set carefully for best copy. This can all be set using the mixer panels behind the CQ100 white question mark.

Some USB headsets (and webcam mics) insist that their mic is the only allowable input. It takes some playing with the control panel to solve this.

If you are using your mic to feed the CW sounds to your reader software, the copy will not be good. If your internet connection has many dropouts (clicks) you will see many bad characters. If your reader is seeing very low or very high audio levels, the copy will be gibberish.

73, Doug
#5     Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 pm
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

Thanks Doug I tried CW Get again and now I think I have it working a bit better I had Stero Mix on but I had alot of other stuff on as well that might have been it.

Still need to get my bencher/paddle key up and running on here as well. Not sure I still feel comfortable trying to hook it up via a cable that I may have to rewire. I am under the impression that hooking up a paddle key to a practice oscolator then plug that into the line in on the sound card would work, is that right? Trying to look for the easiest method to make it all work.

I left a note in another thread asking how the logging program was coming. Did not know if you had given up on it or not. I know there are a few ones out there that seem to do ok, but would like a more simple one that you could just right mouse click on the person's name and have an option to just drop it into a CQ100 Log book. That would be the most simple forum, let me know if you can.
#6     Thu May 29, 2008 2:46 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

The practice oscillator to Line-In will work, but most practice oscillators have a raspy square wave tone that sounds really bad on the air. I made a sine-wave touch keyer last year... see the info on my web site http://ve3efc.ca

I am still working on the logger. This project has expanded to a general-purpose, on-line log as a rich internet app. I am currently trying to learn Adobe Flex for RIA. I have been using a prototype of this log for a year, but it needs more work.

73, Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.